Top tips for meeting the celebs...TRIED & TESTED!
1. Obvious, but be yourself - if you naturally have a joke with someone, then do it - don't be afraid to act like you would around your friends. The amount of bands who I've 'paid out' is ridiculous. Most like it, as you are treating them like a normal person and aren't being an annoying groupie, teenie booper etc.
2. If you are going to do this, make sure it doesn't come across as rude or harsh. There is a very fine line, so if you don't do it well (as in people are often offended by you) then don't do it at all!! Stick to just being the annoying "omg you are so great" fan instead!
3. VERY important: you never know when you are going to bump into someone famous/you love but no one else knows. So for this reason, try dress well (or at least look good) most of the time - otherwise you will end up like me...you end up having a photo taken with them, and then realise that you will never, ever, EVER, show that photo to anyone. Because no matter how famous they are...you still wore that....
4. At festivals such as Soundwave it's oh so easy. Next to some of the smaller stages there are sealed off sections - this is how the bands get in and out. Hang round these and you'll be amazed at how many bands come out to watch others, or just chill.
5. At festivals - dress random! My last Soundwave shirt I made said "Push my buttons" and we had glued on a bunch of buttons into a rainbow, as well as covering our shoes in buttons (not an easy feat). The amount of bands who insisted on 'pushing' our buttons when we were at signing tents was amazing....they then end up chatting to you for ages, kinda forgetting the emo, preppy, goth etc kids.
6. Hang out in hotel bars (luxury ones though) - I bumped into FOB at the lift in a fancy Brisbane hotel. I was later at the bar having cocktails with the family, and guess who was there...
7. KEEP CALM! Speaking too fast, voice going high, sweating profusely (more than is expected at a festival I mean), and breathing rapidly, are all kinda creepy stalker signs. Learn from the Hulk and try to control this side!
8. Do not attempt to hound the most famous, diva celebs first - you will most likely end up with a bouncers fist in your face. Gain experience, and confidence, first by chatting to small, American bands (Soundwave is great for this) as they are usually happy to chat and love the fact someone recognised them. So before going to festivals - DO YOUR RESEARCH! Don't just brush off a band because they aren't big enough. People did that to Madina Lake in '08 whilst we chatted. In '09 everyone wanted a piece of them, and yet it was us who ended up with them because of the previous year - every band has to start somewhere!! So get in early!!!
9. Remember they are real people not freaks! Treat them as someone unattainable then that's all they'll be. Treat them as a mate, and you get to really experience what they are like.
10. Please remember there is a fine line between being a big fan and creepy stalker. If you start trying to saddle up close to them to smell their hair...you've gone to far.